Monday, January 28, 2013

Bright Day



My mind, along with my heart, wouldn't be still long enough for slumber to come easily last night. The dark night consumed me. I attempted to pray, to make sense of it all. I must have dozed off partway through, but I am almost sure that even my dreams were full of pleadings. I needed Him to be found.

I woke up a few minutes before the alarm to chilly toes and a kitten that was attempting to attack them. And there was calm. No, it was more than calm, there was peace. I felt at peace. This was one of those instances that I knew God had granted me His peace. This was a kind of peace that didn't make sense. This was a peace that passed all rational understanding. And I didn't have to understand it, just accept it.

At that realization came such joy. I felt as if I could not contain it all.

I was reminded of Jesus' words from Luke 18: “Let these children alone. Don’t get between them and me. These children are the kingdom’s pride and joy. Mark this: Unless you accept God’s kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you’ll never get in.” {The Message}

Childlike faith. Not letting thing get between us. Simple. Not convoluted. Not complicating the gift of grace.

Love. Always love. Love for God {with all that is within me}. And love for all humankind.

As I was standing in my driveway at dusk, I marveled at the sky. It was filled with such glorious colors. Light shone triumphantly, almost rebelliously against the dusk. And isn't that the reminder that is so easily forgotten? The Light is come. Darkness doesn't prevail.

For a moment, time seemed to stand still and I imagined the rolling clouds in all of their splendor to be what the shore of heaven might look like. And in that same moment, I knew that no matter what, it was going to be alright.


And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair. 
~After the Storm, Mumford & Sons 



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the way you describe the light as being triumphant and rebellious at the same time. It feels strong in those words. Lovely reflection on finding peace.

Rachel said...

Mumford and Sons and I worship together often.

Beauty here, sister.

Visiting from dear emily's place.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I have such moments often, moments where I am stopped dead in my tracks by beauty and a sense that this was orchestrated by God. I don't really know how people who don't have such moments survive sometimes :)

Brandee Shafer said...

Oh, bless you. There's nothing like that peace that passeth all understanding.

Mommy Emily said...

"i needed him to be found." i don't think i've ever heard it put more beautifully nor more simply. this is the gospel.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you were looking at the sky. Far too few are the sky lookers in this day. Far too few...