Sunday, September 16, 2012

Bananas


Last week, I hurried into the local convenience store with my youngest son. It was hot and I wanted to just grab a few things since I hadn't had time to go to the store. As I went to swing open the door, a man politely asked for change. He was dirty and wore raggedy clothes, cigarette clutched in his shaking hand. I impatiently shook my head and continued on. 

Two minutes later, I was at the checkout. In front of me was a large basket of bananas. I felt that holy nudge. No, I didn't have cash, but I could buy some bananas. And so I did. I took two of the larger ones {I had noticed another man on the opposite side}. 

I walked out of the store, son still in tow, right up to the man who had asked for money. "Would you like a banana?" I asked as I held out the fruit in my hand towards him. He looked at it, then smiled. He took it from me like it was so much more than a single banana. "Thank you, baby doll!" he exclaimed in his raspy voice and he meant it. 

I took the other banana and walked ten steps to the other side of the door. Now there were two stooped low. I wished I had another banana, but I held it out anyway and asked if they would like to share. Again, they looked pleased. And here is the part that left me a bit undone: the gentleman I handed it to looked me in the eye and said, "God bless you." God bless me? 

I don't feel like I should be blessed for all the times in which I looked away and ignored far outweigh the times I gave anything {even a second thought}. And it isn't about the act, it is about demonstrating love. The love that was so freely given to us must be freely given. Because we were ALL ransomed, purchased by love. 

It is in the walking and stumbling that we learn the hard lessons. After we had closed the doors to the car, my son looked at me and said that giving the men bananas was kind. And in that teachable moment I said that we should always give, even if it's just taking a moment to let someone know that they matter. 

Because down deep, in this world full of so much apathy, we all want to {need to} know that we matter. I know I do. 

No comments: