Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Waiting



And he shall be like a tree firmly planted [and tended] by the streams of water, ready to bring forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything he does shall prosper [and come to maturity]. Psalm 1:3


It's mid-afternoon, but from the darkness of the living room you would think it was much later. The house is quiet except for the whirring of fans and the drone of the washing machine. All of my boys {big and not so big} are taking a nap. 

I had opened the blinds to let in some more light. As I sat in solitude, I watched the trees sway and the sky darken. The few patches of blue sky were quickly replaced with gray. 

From inside the confines of my house, it looked like a glorious autumn storm. In my mind, I started to daydream about crisp air, scarves, and hot tea. Obviously, that wasn't the case. To snap myself back into reality, I walked outside. The air hung heavy with stifling heat and moisture. I immediately started sweating. Feeling somewhat defeated, I came back inside. And isn't that almost the same way in which we wish away our days? 

I started blogging just over three years ago. Much of that time I would characterize as a difficult season. From my husband's unemployment to serious issues at church, I honestly felt trapped in a harsh winter. I wanted nothing more than to be transported to a hope-filled spring. But I wasn't. Not right away for I had things to learn in the winter places. You see, each season carries with it lessons God would have for us to learn. Each season, no matter how difficult, will have joy {if we so choose to embrace it}. 

Looking back through some of my previous posts - besides thinking, "I-can't-believe-I-wrote-that!" - I see the ways in which I struggled through during low, long days in the valley. But, I also see the ways in which God showed himself mighty in my life as I trusted Jehovah Jireh and my faith was bolstered. 

So, even though I am longing for autumn, I will not wish away the hot days of summer {or whatever season I am in} because no doubt, I have something to learn. And as long as I have breath, I will continue to work out this gift of salvation. 

No comments: