Sunday, July 29, 2012

Inspiration



I have been thinking a lot about intention lately. Last week's sermon and the study I led on Friday dealt with this topic. The Nooma study entitled Shells asked hard questions of us, like why are we so busy? What is our life about? Do you have a hard time saying no? Or, better yet, what have you said yes to? 

Soren Kierkegaard said that a saint is the person who can will the one thing. He was talking about the kind of person who knows exactly what their life is about. Does our lives reflect the "one thing"? 

My friends and I would always jokingly say that if you didn't know the answer just say Jesus because Jesus is always the answer. 

And isn't He? He should always be the One to drive our focus, our things. 

A few weeks ago I was really struggling with feeling like I was being ineffective. Like, how am I even making a difference? And I think it is always the idea of the grandiose that makes me feel defeated. Right now in the season of my life I am unable to do everything. Mother Theresa I am not. I work 40 plus hours a week and I have a family {an unbelieving spouse and two sons}. And that, when you come to think about it, is the biggest mission field I have right now. I can be Christ's ambassador to my family and in my work. I can focus on it because it is important. I shouldn't view it as something that hinders me, but as a place where I can shine Jesus' love.  

The other time I have can be filled in with responding to the opportunities God gives me. I can give because the Giver of everything enables me to do so. And maybe in the future I will have the opportunity to foster or go on mission trips or whatever. But for now I heed the call that I have. And as long as I answer, it is enough. 

I have been intentional about visiting with the elderly who live in the assisted living home next to the church. I met Bernice outside and we walked and talked this morning. Come to find out she went to Poly High School at the same time as my grandparents and some aunt and uncles. As we neared the end of the street I looked up and saw the name of the cross street: Inspiration. And I smiled because I truly felt inspired. In this small way, in this 30 minutes, I was making a difference to Bernice. 

I'll leave you with a benediction of sorts from Shells as my prayer for you:

"May you drop your shells {those things that we hold onto} in the pursuit of a simple, disciplined, focused life in which you pursue the few things God has for you. And may you be life Jesus, able to day no, because you’ve already said yes."

Can I get an "Amen"?

No comments: