Sunday, April 28, 2013

Of Pain and Compassion



Pain. It comes in many forms and levels of intensity. I was thinking about the difference between physical pain and emotional pain. I ran across this quote from C.S. Lewis: “Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say “My tooth is aching” than to say “My heart is broken.” 

Right now, someone I am close to {who likes to keep things private - hence the anonymity} is in a lot of physical pain. It's intense. It has been over two weeks and the prescribed pain pills barely took the edge off. This has impacted every facet of his life. Once this passes, God willing, the memory of the pain will begin to fade. The same principle is true with the pain of child birth. It hurts a whole heck of a lot, but is soon forgotten. 

Emotional pain, however, can be so insidious. There are no visible scars, but the ramifications from these wounds can have such a profound impact. Emotional pain, much like physical pain, changes us. But instead of being temporary, these changes can be far-reaching because pain has a way of shaping us. How we are shaped by it can be positive or negative. It is so easy to let a seed of bitterness take root in our lives. Slowly, over time (and usually without realizing it), it becomes like an aggressive weed, choking out the beautiful all around it; marring the soul. 

And, because pain isn't pleasant, people cope with it differently. Alcohol. pills. food. poor relationship choices. shopping. and so on. Then there are Jesus' promises. I admit, that accepting them isn't always easy. Nor does it always feel tangible. In fact, there have been times where I viewed them as trite {God can bind up someone else's busted heart, but mine is still hemorrhaging}. But...

His response to our sin, our pain? The gruesome cross. 

I have learned that there is purpose in pain. I was reminded of this last week when a sweet friend had simply said, "It makes me sad when you are sad." It touched my heart and made me realize that without pain there could not be true empathy. And we don't have to have answers or remedies for those who are hurting, just compassion {the literal translation in Latin is to suffer with}. 

My challenge for us: Be courageous and look for ways to show compassion to those hurting this week. 

No comments: