Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Settling...


Everyone had left for the day. I sat in my office and went through paperwork, cleared out old messages, and added items to my to-do list. Eventually, I noticed that it was completely quiet; my playlist had come to an end. I glanced up to see what time it was as it is often hard to gauge the time from my vantage point. Beige upon beige, muted grays, varying shades of brown, and  muddy blues are the prevalent color scheme. The fluorescent lights cast an artificial glow. And it can all feel artificial at times. Lifeless. It can feel as if there is this impenetrable shell we have constructed to protect us, even from God himself. And we go through the motions never stopping to see, never realizing that we are made to reach out. To reach out beyond ourselves and the lives that we have made so very small by filling them with such big things that are ultimately meaningless.

And God isn't the one with the drab palette. But, we have settled for it all too often. I breathe deep, move my chair aside, and push open the dingy, off-white blinds that keep the sun out. I am caught off guard by a brilliant blue sky {our summer skies are usually smog-filled} and lush green trees that sway in the gentle wind. And all I want is His rushing wind. All I want is to surrender those places where I've kept the Son out. I want more of Jesus. That is all.


8 comments:

Jennifer Richardson said...

"all I want is rushing wind"
....oh yes, glad yes, big
wide blue-sky yes!
thanks for this yummy inspire,
Jennifer

K said...

this is beautiful. you've said much with a few words. yes, we fill our lives with so much that holds no meaning when there is so much meaning to be found when we just surrender. thanks for sharing.

Beth said...

That's all I want too, Jadie. I want more of the Sonshine to pour in on my soul. Great words and realizations you've shared!

Alecia Simersky said...

You and Ecclesiastes are speaking to me:) filling our lives with meaningless. I want the meaningful and to not be scared to reach out to others to fill the space, the way He intended. Thanks for this nice read!

Cara Sexton said...

So beautiful. Thank you for awakening me to the colors I have let drab in my familiarity with them. They are brilliant indeed, if only we would seek for them to be so. Thanks for your words.

Brian Miller said...

i feel you in this...and have a similar desire....to take off the drab we often drape ourselves with and find a bit more color...smiles.

happygirl said...

I feel ya sistah. I work in an office and rarely see the light of day. Blessings on you and thank goodness for Pandora and longer days. :)

Mommy Emily said...

oh wow, girl. yes. this is all i want too. i love this post. xo