Tuesday, January 17, 2012

So Overrated

My dear sister, who is walking through a hard valley, sent me a text today. She said that sometimes she is just at a loss for words. I found myself nodding knowingly as my heart resonated with hers. Sometimes there aren't words. I responded that sometimes words are overrated. Aren't they? Especially when they are empty. Especially when they are flippant, or simply careless.

Words. Words that string together like pearls on a strand to form sentences that convey our thoughts. I think of the trivial niceties exchanged by people on a daily basis. I wonder about the impact of our words. I wonder how often fake polite voices unconvincingly mask indifference.

And sometimes people just need someone to listen to them. Really listen. Sometimes there aren't answers. But, it is hard to be quiet, isn't it? Silence feels awkward; it is uncomfortable. In as much as I want to learn to be still before God, I also desire to learn the discipline of silence when appropriate. Conversely, there are times when I need to speak, but don't. And there is a timidity, a fear that I will say the wrong words, offend, or be misunderstood.

Yes, words are truly overrated. In this season of Epiphany, I pray that God would reveal himself to me afresh. I pray that I would think and listen more before I speak. When I do speak, may my words be edifying and in love. Always in love.

And these words that appear one by one across the screen are rough and unedited tonight, but they are from my heart.

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. ~ Psalm 19:14

No comments: