Sunday, January 15, 2012

Moving Beyond Safe


"Community is the place where the person you least want to live with always lives. Often we surround ourselves with the people we most want to live with, thus forming a club or clique, not a community. Anyone can form a club; it takes grace, shared vision, and hard work to form a community." ~ Henri Nouwen

It's almost absurd how many people have quoted Nouwen in their books or articles, but here I am, quoting him on my blog because, 1) It's a succinct quote, and 2) It's true.

This weekend I have been thinking heavily on the subjects of relationships and community. Before I get too far into my thoughts, I want to disclose that I haven't been to a church in over two months. I hadn't intended for this to happen. I was sick during some of this time, but that really wasn't the paramount reason. Then, what was?

I am not sure I have a complete answer, but in some sense it became the safe choice. I think choosing a safe choice is a typical response after someone has been hurt. You see, I have experienced more heartache and wounds from people in churches than most. I know that God placed me in those congregations for a specific purpose, so I walked the hard road in obedience. However, the cumulative effects of these prolonged interactions have profoundly impacted me. What was blatantly missing in these situations was grace and a willingness to live in community with one another.

Community isn't exclusive or elitist. Community is an acknowledgement that we are broken people living out life together. And in the center is Jesus, and grace, and forgiveness, and the loving of the ones that are difficult. Scripture says that we are not to give up meeting together, that we are to be united, that we belong to one another, that we are to encourage one another (and on and on...).

I am blessed to have brothers and sisters that are committed to walking with me. They have lived community with me; they are family. They love me when I am the one who is not easy to love. But, this family of mine is scattered over miles and different communities now. And I am the one who needs to get up, brush myself off from the previous falls, and trust that God has somewhere new for me too. I'm not choosing safe anymore, I'm choosing good {Narnia reference intended :)}

So, kind friends, I humbly ask that you pray with me as I discern where God is leading me.

Heartfelt thanks,
J

No comments: