Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Practice Makes Perfect {almost}




Days blend into one another and time passes quickly. Season after season and year after year. The boys I birthed grow in inches and independence, one already a man. I wonder if it is all enough. Enough attention. Enough teaching. Enough love. Yet, every day is a new opportunity. And in our brokenness is grace. Sometimes grace isn't my first response though, and sometimes I am not given grace in return. As easily as I can dissect the things that seem damaged, I can also see love displayed in the small kindnesses. I pray that grace-filled love is fostered and will grow as my family grows older. Tonight, I pray that I would have a servant's heart for my family, even when it feels like I am alone in this, even when all of my daily responsibilities leave me weary.  

And, I pray, like I have since I rededicated my life to the Lord when I was 21, this scripture prayer: That I would be a good wife; responsive. That my husband who, indifferent as he is to any words about God, will be captivated by my life of holy beauty. (paraphrased from 1 Peter 3:1-2). Because one day (which will arrive before I know it), my nest will be empty. And I want those days to matter, too. 

And day after day, it does matter. I pause to marvel that there is nothing that God can't redeem. All of the little things that seem insignificant, those are the things in which love resides. The deeds done without asking. Mushy text messages. Impromptu laughter. The quiet moments with his preteen head on my shoulder. It all matters. This daily practice of loving my family with Jesus' love spurs me on to love others as well. And if that is all I ever do in my life {practice loving the people God places in my path} then I will be perfectly content.




1 comment:

Mommy Emily said...

you have such a worshipful heart friend. this is beautiful.