Monday, January 17, 2011

Steps

Sometimes we aren't prepared. Sometimes unexpected things come and we can only sit back and watch, like mere spectators, as things spiral out of control. Sometimes we can barely utter a weak and desperate breath prayer as time seems to slow down while every painful detail and careless word is indelibly etched in our minds.

And this feels horrid. This sense of permanence in the fleeting moment (because who really knows what the next moment will hold except El Roi -the God who sees?).

He hears my breathless prayers from a breaking heart and even speaks through the pain. As the tears fall, I hear, "Give this time".

So, I choke back a sob and listen to the Keeper of Time, because hasn't everything been done in His perfect time? I think of Isaiah and I know that my thoughts are not His, nor are my ways. There is peace in this reminder.

Tonight, while watching a video with the youth, I learned something new. The southern steps to the Temple Mount are uneven. You can't just run up them casually. Those of you who know me know that I adore finding out about things like this and how they resonate with my heart.

Ecclesiastes 5:1 says to guard your steps when you go to the house of God.

Walking up to the House of God was to be done in time and with halted step and examining. Slow yourself. One step. Check your heart. Another step.

Some theologians even believe that the 15 long steps were meant for pause as the Psalms of Ascent (120-134) were sung. How amazingly beautiful.

I look forward to pondering all of this more, but for now, I am taking away some precious conclusions...

Our steps are not measured in this life, they are uneven (but determined by God). What a miraculous ability we have to approach the Throne of Grace (lest I forget how I am to approach). I was made to worship (at all times, in every season).

So, here I am, on an uneven landing, praising Him, and taking another step.


7 comments:

Mr. John McCombs said...

1 Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the LORD,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.
4 Not so the wicked!
They are like chaff
that the wind blows away.
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked leads to destruction.

Lauri said...

that's so cool! i too love finding out the reasons why.
your post made me think of that verse in "it cam upon a midnight clear"
O ye beneath life's crushing load,
Whose forms are bending low,
Who toil along the climbing way
With painful steps and slow;
Look now, for glad and golden hours
Come swiftly on the wing;
Oh rest beside the weary road
And hear the angels sing.

Brian Miller said...

nice and i learned a few things tonight as well...taking uneven steps....

life or something like it said...

I too, love learning things like this. Uneven steps...so neat. Thanks for the small lesson learned here today

alittlebitograce said...

i've read this twice now and both times it stirs something so deep, i can't find the words to express it. perhaps it is hope rising up at the mention of time and waiting and that we can come slowly before the Lord, moving into His presence, bit by bit. whatever it is, your piece moved me.

Anonymous said...

WOW! This is so deep and precious . . . I read thru several times and want to read more. Loved reading about the temple steps.

Thank you for sharing.

Mommy Emily said...

The southern steps to the Temple Mount are uneven. You can't just run up them casually.

oh Jadie, this gave me shivers. i love learning these things too. how little we ponder, these days. how little we take time... and God is all about time. thank you for this exquisite post. i've missed you, friend. xo