Monday, November 29, 2010

Something New...

I love the Old Testament. I think it is highly overlooked and underrated. Sure, people love the Psalms and maybe even some Proverbs, but the OT has so much more, beyond beautiful songs and warnings against folly.

The OT is steeped in history (so much more than the go-to Sunday School stories). It is full of prophets proclaiming the Messiah and the message to turn and repent. It is a message of hope. Today was the first Sunday in Advent; the Sunday where we light the Prophesy candle of hope. What is Advent, really? It's translation means "coming". But is it just a celebration of sweet baby Jesus who was born in a manger, or does it carry the weight of an expectation that He will come again?

As I find myself in Isaiah lately, I can't help but be enveloped in that hope that is permeated with expectancy. He is doing a new thing, whether we like it or not; whether we choose to be teachable or not.

Today I begin my 36th year and I look back at last year. Did I give my all for my All in All? Did I behave like one who has the promise of hope?

I don't want to have a list of missed opportunities haunt me. I want to live for this day, because it is the only day I am really promised. And I want to make a difference. A real difference. May we look for the 'something new' that He is doing. Where is He calling His people? I can most assuredly guarantee that it probably isn't where we are now, all cozy in our watered-down version of what he has commanded (wasn't that just a suggestion, really?) or expected of us (Ouch, right?!).

It's so much more than lighting a candle, or a whole wreath full. It is in the living, the daily surrendering of self.

May this year, and every year after, be more of Him and less of me!

No comments: