Skip to main content

Empty Frames

I have a penchant for vintage things. I am drawn to them - books, accessories, paintings, and so on. I read inscriptions in old books and wonder what that person was like, or who painted this picture (and why was it discarded)?

I have had this empty, old frame forever. It is painted gold and has beautiful carvings adorning it that have been chipped by age and carelessness. One of the corners is no longer flush.




But, I simply love it. It hangs over an old white cupboard that incidentally has chipped paint as well. My husband and boys don't understand why I have had an empty frame up for years; they think it is extremely weird.

In all actuality, it reminds me of hope. No doubt it once displayed a magnificent painting, but that was a different season. It now waits and hopes to be purposed again.
In some ways, I feel like I have been stripped of the magnificent, soul-bare and I am, too, waiting.

Another one of my favorite pieces is just a small painting with an interesting frame.


When I look at this painting, I see grace. You see, the picture is far too small for this frame. But, instead of leaving it empty, the craftsman built it up, creating an inner green mat and gold molding before the beige fabric. He took something unworkable and made it beautiful. This is what God does for us. I adore that there is one lone flower that is out of the vase with its dropped petals lying next to it. There is beauty in giving up and surrendering to something greater than you can imagine (sometimes I need to be reminded of this).

The last one is a sweet painting by 'Ellen' (and again I wonder who she is). This picture reminds me of joy. It is happy. Paint dances upon canvas (you can feel the daisy petals) and it is perfect in its imperfection (because nothing here is perfect).

So, tonight I took the picture that reminds me of joy and placed it inside the empty frame of hope.


It may seem silly, but while I am waiting, I need this visual representation of joy within hope, covered by grace. I need to be joyful in hope, patient in affliction and faithful in prayer (Romans 12:12).

Without Jesus, we are all just empty frames...

Linking up with Emily and imperfect prose on Thursdays... http://canvaschild.blogspot.com/

Comments

Alicia said…
I love it, Jade!
Brian Miller said…
nice. i like the astetics...and the symbolism of joy in hope....big smiles.
emily wierenga said…
oh jadie, this is exquisite. absolutely. i also have a gold frame which i painted black, and it hangs on my wall between two other paintings... just a frame. and now you've given me reason for hanging it, and meaning in the emptiness. thank you, sweet one.
Kara said…
i love this. the empty frame is hope.....

lovely!
I also look at old things and wonder at who the people are, or what the thing meant to someone. I love how you have taken something that most people would get rid of and use it as a reminder for hope and joy.
:)

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons

Shortly after the New Year, I took about a three week break from Facebook, deleting the app from my phone. I felt that it was in my best interest. As a whole, it made me feel wretched about myself (or bitter, or judgmental, or a slew of other negative emotions). Not to mention the amount of time I wasted.

It was hard at first, as most habits are, to break. But, as the days went on, it became easier, and I had more time to be engaged in the present. I was looking less at my phone for the red notifications. However, there were certain things I missed, such as seeing pictures of those that live far away, or sharing in others' happy news.

So, after some time, and after I felt like I had found some balance, I decided to log back in. It was the day after the inauguration and the day of the women's march. Two of my best friends and I went together. We joined about 5,000 others in Riverside. People of differing beliefs and backgrounds came together in solidarity, each person choosing …

when you are done

This will probably read more like a quick update instead of my usual posts. It's been a while. I am not entirely sure when I last wrote, or what I wrote about. Probably Grace. Or thanksgiving. And I am sure there was certainly some angst woven somewhere in there. Maybe even a curse word or two.

I can be all about the angst. Sure, there is a time and place, but it's heavy, man. I mean, it's a lot for one person to carry. All. The, Time.

I think it is inherently good to be honest about areas of necessary growth. A huge area for me {although it can be a positive thing} is my emotions. They own me. I feel things deeply. For all the things. All. The. Time. This can be problematic when I have been wounded, or when my emotions are overspent on the same scenarios.

But, with the New Year we ventured back out into the pews or chairs. Among the old and the new. Heavy with liturgy or twinkling with lights under purposely exposed ducts.

I began to feel like Edward Norton's Narrator…

The Unattainable

November is probably my favorite month. I adore autumn. And Thanksgiving. Late this afternoon, as I was leaving work, the sun was starting its early descent and there was a distinct, crisp bite to the air as storm clouds rolled across the sky. I breathed in deeply and felt invigorated, like in that brief second, I believed that anything was possible.

Sometimes, I feel stuck. I start things, and for whatever reason, I don't finish them. Maybe it's just part of my quirky personality. I lose interest. Or simply move on. Some things, however, feel unfinished. I think about these things as if they were completely unattainable. But, you know what? They're not.

Tonight I drove by the plaza and the sight of the Christmas tree surprised me. It reminded me that seasons eventually change. Abruptly, even. The days eventually get shorter. In a few weeks I will turn 41. A new year. A fresh start of sorts. And I want to make the most of it because these years are going by at breakneck sp…