Thursday, September 23, 2010

Harvest Moon



Yesterday was the first day of autumn. Yesterday there was a beautiful harvest moon to usher in the new season. I sat in a courtyard, solitary, still. I watched as the moon inched its way up between the tall trees that framed the picturesque view. It was lovely. Oh, how much I wanted to just stay. Autumn moon, Spirit and me. Crisp air and leaves rustling in the breeze allude to what is to come, but not yet.


It is autumn, though it does not *feel* like autumn. This is hard. You see, I can not make it feel like autumn any more than I can change the season that I am in (don't think I haven't thought about how to accomplish this on my own).


Am I overjoyed that a heat wave is approaching bringing with it very non fall-like temperatures? Umm, no. Am I thrilled with the season that I am in right now? Not really (at least not as I type this).


So, how do I reconcile the two? Trust. I trust the God who made not only the seasons of the earth, but the seasons of my life. I may not always like it, but I need to embrace this time, this season. If I curse either I am missing out on what God has for me. This season is his, just as I am his. Who am I to question this (a la Job)?


And when I do not *feel* him and all I hear is silence, I will trust. In the drought, I will cling to the Living Water. I will be obedient in the valley.


He has alluded to what is to come, but not yet. It isn't time. But, the seasons change and I am confident that my season will change too, and as it changes, so do I. And that is something to embrace. He loves me enough not to leave me the same. So tonight I ask for peace and for my heart to remain teachable.


And in this silence-sequestered faith I will seek to know and understand the Season-Maker and rest in the fact that he is not safe, but he is good.

No comments: