Saturday, September 18, 2010

Friends...

Today I am extremely thankful for the gift of friendship. I love my friends! I have such amazing, sweet friends. I have prayed for friends throughout my life and have also had friends enter my life because God knew I needed them before I did!

Some friends are 'lifers'. These are the few souls who have been around awhile and have walked the different terrains with us. Sometimes periods will pass without contact, but this doesn't diminish the friendship.

Some friends are in our lives for a specific season. And although life and circumstances can eventually cause a drifting apart, this doesn't mean that we do not have fond memories of those friends and think of them often. In fact, thanks to facebook, I am able to keep up with many of these people.

Some of my friends are opposites of me (which is extremely helpful). These friends tend to complement me, stretch me and hold me accountable. Everyone needs accountability.

Other friends are kindred spirits. It's easy with these sweet souls. They get you. There is a common understanding. Words aren't as important as just knowing what the other feels.

Many of my companions make up a combination of all of these. But, today, September 18, 2010, I celebrate my sweet sister and kindred spirit, Amy Smith's 31st birthday!

Amy is a true gem and such an amazing woman of God. I am blessed to call her friend. She has walked with me for many years and we have an ongoing joke that when we are little old, grey ladies, we will reminisce about all of the incredible things God has done in our lives. We will sit on a porch somewhere, drink coffee with Italian Sweet Cream and remember ('Remember when...?"). Beyond the fact that we both adore lemons, books, red wine, fall etc., we both love Jesus. And that is the best bond any friendship can have (three cords!).

Amy, I hope you feel well-loved and celebrated today! May you be able to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Happy birthday!

Love,

Jade

No comments: