Monday, November 16, 2009

Retreat


It has been such a long time since I had been on a retreat. From large conferences, such as Women of Faith, to small Yom Kippur day retreats for prayer, retreats are an excellent way to purposefully break from your routine in order to seek God.


I was blessed to be able to help facilitate a women's overnight retreat as a close to our fall study on rest. The theme was truly timely! I pray that I can implement the things that I learned, such as taking time to rest (Sabbath), creating margins, learning to say no and recognizing the season that I am in (and resting in the fact that there isn't a season that God isn't in and working).


Tonight, as I was looking through some old pictures and papers, I came across a bookmark I made at a church retreat. It was dated November 17, 1996! The theme was "fear not," and along with a few pressed autumn leaves was a handwritten prayer that read: "Lord help me be strong and full of undoubting faith." I was 21 (almost 22), had a three year old and was in desperate need of Jesus. That weekend, God reassured me that I was forgiven, something I was unable to truly believe prior. Psalm 103 became real to me and in my heart I knew that as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed my sins from me!! Amazingly sweet grace!


So, 13 years later I continue to find my strength in Jesus and as I have walked with Him my faith has grown. I am not the same girl I was back then (thankfully). My prayer for this year is that I would hunger after God, spend more time with Him, and be open to new things He is calling me to. Indeed, finding that bookmark reminds me that there is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear. And the only true and perfect love is in Him!


My encouragement for you this week is to take time (even if it's only a few moments here and there) away to sit with Jesus. You'll find that He has lots to say :)


Peace

1 comment:

Amy Smith said...

So timely Jade. Hope we can share with each other soon. Love you.