Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Greater love...


“The hard thing is to stay.” These words, spoken in a brief conversation tonight, pierced my soul, as I realized how true they were in almost every relationship (God, spouse, friend, family, parent, child…). Relationships take work to flourish and remain healthy; relationships are not always easy. What’s more, anything worthwhile requires a sacrifice from us, a true investment of ourselves, if you will.
So what happens when life become unsavory? What happens when the blue skies of relational bliss turn dark and stormy? Admittedly, when gale force winds and torrential rains pelt the ground and erode the foundations of a relationship, it would be easier to jump ship in search of calmer waters. This, however, is the exact opposite of how we are to respond.
For the last few weeks, my son has had some difficulties with transitioning into his new class (something that is compounded by the palpable stress that unfortunately permeates the atmosphere of our home as of late). He had chosen to manifest his frustrations by acting out. He knew what was expected of him, yet he chose to make poor decisions. One day, as I was explaining his consequences to him as we drove home, he began to get really upset. He pleaded at first, saying “I’m sorry. I won’t do it again.” I responded, “I am glad you are sorry. You can show me that you are sorry by changing your behavior in the future, but you still have consequences for your actions.” He, of course, didn’t like this and changed his tone and began to say things like, “you’re mean” and “I don’t like you.” By the time we pulled into the driveway, he decided he was going to leave, essentially run away. I, of course, followed him and brought him back home.
This whole scenario reminded me of the relationship we have with God. How many times have I been rebellious? How many times have I been angry (not saying I don’t like Him, but conveying that sentiment with my actions)? How have I responded to correction that comes from the depths of a love I can’t fully comprehend? He never leaves us! We, too, are to remain in Him. We are to abide.
I am reminded of John 15: Remain in me, and I will remain in you…"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
Greater love… Let’s face it; some people are hard to love. But, does this mean they are any less worthy of love? Of course not; especially if we are following Jesus’ example. I have found that those who are the most challenging to love actually need it the most. So, go ahead, love with reckless abandon, choose to walk the difficult long road with someone, seize the moment to speak truth into a situation, tell someone they matter, make a phone call, send an email, pray, lavish someone with an unexpected act of kindness and care…We are the hands and feet. What are we doing?
Leaving, turning away, ignoring are easy, it’s the staying that’s hard (but oh, so worthwhile)!

2 comments:

Amy Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy Smith said...

Ahh Jade. It is encouraging to see your heart, laid open, on the page. Such fresh honesty. Lessons hard learned are the lessons God ordains us to teach others. He does not waste our pain. As the petals of our life are pressed, they release their beautiful fragrance... You, my friend, are permeating the air with loveliness.