Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Threshing Floor

I love me some allegory :) Not only do I love reading it, but I also love writing about it. It is a weakness... Consider yourself forewarned.

I love autumn. It is my favorite season with spring coming in at a distant second. Unfortunately, I live in a climate that doesn't afford me the opportunity to witness actual honest-to-goodness seasonal changes. Nonetheless, that doesn't stop me from becoming ridiculously giddy for the earlier evenings and cooler weather (which sometimes doesn't arrive until November, but I digress).

Fall is also the time for harvesting. As I was reflecting upon this, I sense that it is time to go to the threshing floor. Now some may not like to make the connection that we are the wheat is this scenario, but that's where I am going (stay with me). The threshing floor is a place of blessing, but also of judgment. The wheat is harvested and brought to the threshing floor where it is struck and crushed. This is utterly necessary to separate the grain from the husks and false grain, called tares.

We are like the wheat with valuable, but sometimes hidden, kernels inside. God's mighty hand is ready to separate the grain from the chaff (husks). God is continually at work, and in the winnowing process, as we are crushed, the dry chaff and false tares fall away. What the chaff and tares represent are different for each of us. For some it is complacency, for others it's a divisive spirit (the list is endless). What's important here is that these things have no place in God's kingdom and are blown away with the wind.

The newly unveiled grain falls to the threshing floor in obedience, ready to be gathered up and used. What is God purposing you to do? What needs to be removed for you to obey?

I willingly go to the threshing floor and wait expectantly for the harvest...

"Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way! Thou art the potter, I am the clay. Mold me and make me after thy will, while I am waiting, yielded and still."

No comments: