Sunday, January 25, 2015

In Which I Become an Unlikely Seahawks Fan

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, really. I mean, I've never been into sports. I've never been to the Pacific Northwest, I'm a California girl, born and raised. But there's just no denying my adoration for the Seattle Seahawks.

My mister, as long as I can remember, has always been a fan. Back in the times of acid-washed overalls and mullets, they were his team. He bought his niece a Bosworth sweatshirt when she was an infant. I mean, who does that? And more importantly, come on, The Boz? But, I digress.

I have never really been interesting in sports of any kind with the exception of some shameful 49ers bandwagoning around 1989-1990 when I bought a t-shirt from the mall because everyone had them, and they were winning (To this day, my husband will not let me live this down!) In my defense, I did just order a Sea Believe shirt which I hope will arrive before Blue Friday.

But, last year, during the 2013 - 2014 season, I began watching the games with my mister. It kind of became our thing. And when you've been married two decades, finding new things to do together is rare and special.

So, we watched. I watched. I began to look forward to the games. I began to root for the Hawks. When the elementary school where I work had a sports themed spirit day, my sweet mister let me wear the only jersey he had at the time.

Here I am in my office with the old school Moon jersey. Represent. 
 Last year's season came to an end with the Championship and Super Bowl win. We were thrilled. 

It seemed like a ridiculously looooooong time before this year's season began. As odd as it was for me, I couldn't wait to pick up where we left off. In fact, if my mister had to work during a game, I would watch the game. Like, by myself (what?!) And I'd text him updates. I remember pondering this strange new phenomenon and wondering who am I, even. I was a fan. Win or lose, over this last season, the Seattle Seahawks became my team.

A game day in October and 90 degrees, but I still wore my scarf for a bit! 
My fangirl status became solidified during the NFC Championship Game in which I felt all the feels. When they won in OT, I cried right alongside Russell Wilson. He is amazing. I mean, he just is. He loves Jesus, he loves others, and he is humble. And Richard Sherman. And Earl Thomas. Goodness. So many men of integrity. The truth is, I couldn't like a team that was filled with a bunch of douche bags.

I have thought often about that game since last Sunday. The sheer audaciousness of it all. Pete Carroll did not give up on his team and they did not give up on each other. I admire the love and respect they have for one another. Also, the community of the 12th Man. I have a thing for genuine community and the 12s are legit.

So, I will be rooting for my team next Sunday! And through this interesting experience, I have learned that it is never too late to embrace something new, something you may have previously written off.

Be bold. Be Daring.

And Go Hawks! :)

1 comment:

Amy Smith said...

Go Patriots!! (wink)