Saturday, April 6, 2013

In Which I Fly Above the Storm

It was dark. It was four in the morning. The rows of tall, straight trees flashed by in the hi-beams. Rain fell heavy and the sky rebelled against the darkness with flashes of lightning that caused my tired eyes to squint and strain.

It was quite a storm {at least to this California girl}. I was heading to the airport. The last thing I wanted to do was get on an airplane during a thunderstorm. But it was time to come home. I had the most amazing time with one of my dearest friends. Being with her and being away was such a balm to my soul.

I boarded the small jet {so small that my seat was by itself}. I closed my eyes. I prayed for the pilot and the flight. I prayed for the family I just left. I prayed for the one - my own - to which I was returning. I turned on the playlist with my hymns and I leaned in close to the promises.

And after a few moments, a brightness illuminated through my closed eyelids. I was caught off guard to see sun shining in through the windows on the opposite side of the plane. I opened my window. We had reached an altitude higher than the storm. The storm was below. The sun above. And the sky was blanketed in a carpet of clouds. This picture from the dirty window doesn't begin to do it justice.



It was magnificent. My throat caught. It was like the shore of heaven. Never-ending. With swirling clouds and gleaming silver and pink hues.

And below was the storm. And life is full of storms. Sometimes I feel as if I am trapped in the various downpours. Sometimes, I forget that the sun still shines.

Then what? We keep on. Even when all we have is a two word prayer, or none at all. Even when we feel like we are going through the motions. Even when we curse in frustration. Even when we doubt.

We write it on our hearts {and on index cards}. We tattoo it on our wrists. We do whatever it takes to always point to Him. To the Son. To remember, always, that we are never alone, even when we feel alone.

I returned to overcast skies {literally and figuratively}. It wouldn't have been my choice much like boarding that plane, but I am doing my best to keep my focus where it belongs. And that is all I can do for now.

1 comment:

Amy Smith said...

Jade!!! I am so proud of you for this post. It is everything I talked with you about. It is real and sucked me right in. The dissonance at the end was perfect.

Index card and tattoos and the words seared into our hearts forever. So, so thankful for this time, for you, for the God who knit our hearts together and who keeps the knots tight, across time and miles. xoxoxoxoxo