Saturday, December 15, 2012

Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus

I don't have anything profound to say. Really.

I was sick. I came into work late on Friday. I needed to handle a few time-sensitive tasks before returning home. I had not heard the news.

It came in an email from another secretary. I opened up the attached article. All I could do was shake my head in disbelief and bow it low.

Last night, the images of grief-stricken children and parents and an entire community left me undone. Prayers in the form of teardrops fell.

And they didn't stop for long. Today, while out running errands, my throat tightened upon seeing little ones with their parents. My thoughts went straight to those with longing arms and aching hearts.

And maybe I was just imagining it, but there seemed to be something different about today. Usually this close to Christmas, especially on a Saturday, there is a frenzy of activity that is generally characterized  by people behaving poorly {You know, the horn-honking, rude, impatient variety}. Today, however, people seemed to slow their pace. Smiles were exchanged. Just because. Overall, people seemed to be kind. {And I think: In light of everything, how can we be anything but kind to one another?}

And because the Light was sent into the darkness...And this is so dark.

And because we are broken, But God is close to the brokenhearted.

And because we can't understand or fathom...we hold on.

And there is sorrow now, but "He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever." {Revelation 21:4}

I light candles and let these words pierce my heart tonight:


Come, thou long expected Jesus,
born to set thy people free;
from our fears and sins release us,
let us find our rest in thee. 
Israel's strength and consolation,
hope of all the earth thou art;
dear desire of every nation,
joy of every longing heart.

Born thy people to deliver,         
born a child and yet a King,
born to reign in us forever,         
now thy gracious kingdom bring.
By thine own eternal spirit
rule in all our hearts alone;
by thine all sufficient merit,
raise us to thy glorious throne.


No comments: